Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Expect It When You Least Expect It . . .


Inspiration, that is. You never know from where ideas for stories or new approaches to your writing will arrive. For me, a new portal opened in a house in west Omaha. I recently had the privilege of experiencing Myofascial Release Therapy and my connective tissues definitely got reconnected. The session, which consisted of various levels of pressure applied by hand to my head, neck and arms, opened up a wide range of physical sensations. What surprised me, though, was that it opened up a HUGE gate to nonphysical sensations. Now I even have more to journal about for future story material (and more to discuss with Shirley Maclaine when we have dinner together).

It always pays to heed the experiences in your everyday life to flex the muscles of your writing craft. These sometimes seemingly mundane occurrences can open up a new world for you, if you let them.

Have you recently experienced any out of the ordinary occurrences that have impacted your writing? If so, what were they? How did they inspire you?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very often an image, a painting, a landscape, or a scrap of overheard conversation will start the "what if" going.

I've also noticed that, a few hours after acupuncture, my creativity bursts forward again. As my acupuncturists gets the physical blocks unwound, the creative ones find their rhythm again, too.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I just had a massage (our boss gave us the gift of a 15 minute massage by a professional for Christmas) and I feel, well, motivated! Unfortunately, I'm still at work!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Babe King said...

Which is why I have notes scribbled all over the place, even on the tissue box. d/h just shakes his head and chuckles.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Devon, Melissa and Babe,

Thanks for stopping by. I haven't tried accupuncture yet, but would like to. I've heard it releases *stuff* at all levels. I wouldn't mind having a massage either. Babe, I sometimes have so many Post-It notes up around my desk that they get lost in the clutter and I can't find the little scribbly note I was looking for until I wade through it all.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home