Thursday, June 14, 2007




Thirteen Things about Great Villainess Names




Here are some names I'd consider giving to a villainess. Some inspire me because they have religious meanings and I think it would be fun to create a character that was the antithesis of that. Other names intrigue me by their sound as they roll off the tongue.

1. Bella – Of Italian origin, means "beautiful." Bella sounds like someone who would be beautiful and cunning.

2. Francesca – Of Latin and Italian origin, means "from France." This is one of my favorite female names. It has such a beautiful sound to it that it would lend itself to someone who attempts to sway the hero from his goals.

3. Gertrude – Of Germanic origin, means "strength of the spear, spear maiden." Gertrude or Trudy could easily wield spears toward the protagonist and enjoy not following in the trail of the saint of the same name.

4. Helene –Of French origin, is a form of "Helen." An exotic sounding name that could make for an exotic villainess.

5. Ida – Of Germanic origin, means "hardworking." Ida could work diligently to thwart the protagonist at every turn. I picked this name because my grandmother Ida could be more than a little bit difficult.

6. Josephina – Of English origin, means "God will increase." A fine, strong sounding name.

7. Lynnette – Of French origin, means "pretty one."

8. Marina – Of Latin origin, means "of the sea." Water is symbolic of the subconscious. Many secrets and bad intentions lurk beneath Marina's sea.

9. Natalia – Of Italian origin, means "born on Christmas day." It would be fun to create a character that was the antithesis of her holy name.

10. Quin – Of Celtic/Gaelic origin, means "descendant of Conn."

11. Theodosia – I selected this name in honor of silent movie vamp Theodosia Burr Goodman, a.k.a., Theda Bara (in the above photo).

12. Veronica – Of Greek origin, means "bringing victory." I'm sure there are a lot of wonderful Veronicas out there, but I haven't met one yet that I liked.

13. Zara – Of Arabic origin, means "shining, flower."

Which of these 13 names would you consider giving to a villainess? What other names do you think would be great for a villainess and why?


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!


(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


4 Comments:

Blogger Kristina Knight said...

I love these posts of yours...they make me think! Totally agree with Gertrude, by the way!

Happy TT!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Parker said...

Wow, great minds think alike! "Helene" was the name of the villainess in my book, Gilded Splendor. Hehe

I love that pic, btw!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Thanks, Kristi!

Happy TT to you, too.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Hey, Elizabeth

I think I was making a psychic connection there. Helene was an excellent choice for the name of your villainess.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home