Thursday, June 07, 2007




Thirteen Things about Great Villain Names




Here are some names I'd consider giving to one of my villains:

1. Ambrose – Of Greek origin, means "immortal." Sounds like someone who would be very clever and dastardly, and if immortal, an eternal evil genius.

2. Boris – Of Russian origin, means "battle, fight." Aside from sounding like a meanie, the meaning even suggests trouble.

3. Bronson – Of English origin, means "Brown's son." Sounds like a sneaky, wicked guy.

4. Donovan –Of Gaelic and English origin, means "dark chieftain." Again, the meaning of the name hints at a bad guy.

5. Elkin – Of Hebrew origin, means "God purchased, God created." Okay, so this name implies he might be more of a good guy, but the name just sounds creepy.

6. Gustav – Of Germanic origin, means "stave of the gods." He could be a staff of one of the nasty gods.

7. Hobart – Of Germanic origin, means "bright mind, intelligent."

8. Jackson – Of English origin, means "Jack's son."

9. Jaden – Of American English origin. To me the name suggests a sneaky person who would lurk around and snoop on people, then pounce on them when they least suspected it.

10. Kromar – This is a name I created. To me, it sounds like someone who would be smart and evil. Krom (chrome) could be used as a nickname.

11. Royce – Of Latin origin, means "rose."

12. Wesley – Of English origin, means "Western meadow."
I know it's sometimes used as a hero's name, but I think it lends itself more to a bad guy.

13. Vann – Of English origin, means "God is gracious."

Which of these 13 names would you consider giving to one of your villains? What other names do you think would be great for a villain and why?


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!


(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


6 Comments:

Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

Ooh, I LOVE Kromar! I immediately thought of the bad guys from the original Battlestar Galactica. Then I thought of a Hell's Angel on a big chrome Harley.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Thanks, Robin. Haven't thought about where old Kromar is going to turn up yet, but he's going to be one bad ass dude.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Babe King said...

Hah! Hobart is the capital city of my state. lolm

7:11 PM  
Blogger Crimson Wife said...

Well, Ambrose reminds me of the Catholic Saint so unless he's some sort of black sheep rebelling against an overly repressive upbringing I wouldn't think it makes a good villain's name.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Dominic. That has always been a villain's name for me ever since I read my favorite book in the world, TREE OF GOLD, by Rosalind Laker. The icky father's name in the book was Dominic.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

oooohhhh . . . I like Dominic, too. Sounds very controlling.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home