Thursday, May 31, 2007




Thirteen Things about Great Heroine Names




Here are some names I'd consider giving to one of my heroines:

1. Amarna – Of Arabic origin, named after the ancient city "el-Amarna", located on the east bank of the Nile River built by the Pharaoh Akhenaten of the late 18th Dynasty (circa 1353 BC). I fell in love with this name watching a documentary on ancient Egypt.

2. Blanche – Of French origin, means "white."

3. Calista – Of Greek origin, means "the most beautiful." Who doesn't want a beautiful heroine?

4. Glenda –Of Welsh origin, means "clean and good."

5. Gilda – Pronounced JILL-da. Of English origin, means "covered with a thin layer of gold", of Germanic origin, means "offering." I've loved this name ever since I saw the film, Design for Living. Gilda was played beautifully by Miriam Hopkins.

6. Isabella – Of Hebrew origin, means "My God is a vow".

7. Jemma – Of Latin origin, means "jewel."

8. Larissa – Of Russian origin, from the ancient city of Larisa.

9. Mabel – Of French origin, means "lovable." I like this name because I'm a fan of the work and life of Mabel Normand.

10. Pagan – Of Celtic origin, means country dweller.

11. Tallulah – Of Gaelic origin, means "abundance, lady, princess."

12. Taryn – Of American origin. One of the alums from my sorority had this name and I always liked it.

13. Zhana – Of Hebrew origin, means "God is gracious."

Which of these 13 names would you consider giving to one of your heroines? What other names do you think would be great for a heroine and why?


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!


(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


12 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Those are some great names. When I think of Blanche, I naturally think Streetcar Named Desire. I had an Aunt Blanche that I never met, though heard she was a bit of a spitfire.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Parker said...

Great heroine names!

I've always been particularly interested in the name "Pagan." My maiden name is "Payne," an old old English name, which is said to be a derivative of "Pagan" way back when.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Melissa,

I have yet to see A Streetcar Named Desire, but it sounds like the Blanche in that show was a spitfire, too. I've always thought the name was cool, and it sounds so powerful.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Elizabeth,

I've thought about using the name "Payne" as a surname for one of my characters since it has such a nice, strong sound to it. Now if you went by "Elizabeth Payne Parker," that would really pack a punch!

3:49 PM  
Blogger etechnocraft said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post.
Chatville
Youtube.com/Activate
Groovy Bot In Discord
Fast People Search
Sportsurge

1:22 AM  
Blogger Car Accessories said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Sad shayari for boy
good night quotes
good morning quotes
sad shyari
love shayari

7:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
Man with van Southport

9:07 AM  
Blogger Toney Wix said...

Normally I do not read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, quite great post.

शायरी
सैड शायरी
हिंदी शायरी
Malayalam Quotes

12:19 AM  
Anonymous imran khan said...

I recently discovered your blog and have found every piece I've read to be quite beneficial. My issue is that I receive a lot of traffic but very few comments!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Toney Wix said...

I conceive this site contains some rattling superb information for everyone :D. “Nothing surely is so disgraceful to society and to individuals as unmeaning wastefulness.” by Count Benjamin Thompson Rumford.

malayalam quotes
love quotes malayalam
sad quotes malayalam
motivational quotes in malayalam
friendship quotes malayalam

4:11 AM  
Blogger Bus Rental Abu dhabi said...

Anytime I have a question, a thought or just want to revisit a topic, I can always find new and useful information. I love how you cover so many different topics on your site. You do an amazing job of keeping me informed because there are lots of things I need to remember... bus rental Dubai Bus rental Bus rental in dubai Dubai Sightseeing bus rental with Driver staff transportation bus rental abu dhabi airport transfer bus rental sharjah

I love this site – the posts are top notch, always interesting, useful and easy to read. I haven't seen pages jump like this in a long time. Really great work.!. bus rental Dubai bus rental Abu Dhabi bus rental Sharjah van rental Dubai Party bus rental mini bus rental Dubai Rent a bus Dubai Van rental dubai with driver

12:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah J. said...

I really appreciate your blog post for sharing all the different things you've learned in the writing profession. I'm always interested in how people manage to make their living off of writing and I think it's important for writers to be able to share their experiences. I'm also impressed that you managed to keep your blog updated for over a decade! Digital Marketing Agency in USA

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home