Thursday, May 24, 2007




Thirteen Things about Great Hero Names




Here are some names I'd consider giving to one of my heroes:

1. Bryce – Of Scottish origin, means "of Britain."

2. Chaz Of English origin, means "free man." Diminutive form of Charles. I’ve only known one person with this name, from my early childhood. I’ve always liked the sound of it.

3. Delvin Delvin – Of Old English origin, means "bright friend." I've only known one person so far with this name.

4. Dex Short for Dexter. Of English origin, means "dyer of clothes." The Latin meaning is "right-handed", "auspicious." Great sounding name. Plus, I liked the character of that name Cary Grant portrayed in “The Philadelphia Story.”

5. Garrett dates from the Middle Ages. May also be a variant of Gareth or Garth.

6. Nigel Of English origin, means "champion". I’ve always liked this name. Who wouldn’t want a champion for a hero?

7. Oberon Of German origin, means "noble bear." Form of Auberon. King of the fairies in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I also like it because I love the work of actress Merle Oberon.

8. Quentin Of Latin origin, means "fifth." Quentin has 8 variant forms: Quent, Quenten, Quenton, Quint, Quinten, Quintin, Quinton and Quintus.

9. Rafe Of English origin, means "wolf counsel." The medieval pronunciation of the name "Ralph." I just like the sound of it.

10. Tarquin Of Latin origin, was the name of two Etruscan kings of early pre-republican Rome (about fifth Century AD). The son of the last king caused the famous Rape of Lucretia, the Roman matron who killed herself rather than live in shame. This event led to the downfall of the Tarquins and the change of elected consuls to rule Rome instead. It has been depicted in poetry and drama in various languages.

11. Theron Of Greek origin, means "hunter."

12. Vonn is a variant of Van and Von. I knew someone in college with this name.

13. Zoltan Of Hungarian origin, means "life."

Which of these 13 names would you consider giving to one of your heroes? What other names do you think would be great for a hero and why?


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!


(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Parker said...

Diana, would you please tell about this "Thursday Thirteen" thing? I love seeing it on your and Robin's blogs, but I have a few questions. Is it hard? Is it worth it? Why not just construct your own lists? Are you on the TT blogroll? Why or why not? Do they give you a list of topics to write about? Well, I know I've asked too many questions --just a broad view would be nice. Should I join TT?

Thanks!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Hi, Elizabeth

Thursday Thirteen isn't hard. If you want to participate, just go to: http://thursdaythirteen.com/the-code/ and select the code for the style of page you want.

I like using it because it's a bit different from my usual posts. I signed up for the TT blogroll, but have never checked to see if I'm on it. I construct my own lists. The TT code just helps give it a certain look, and you can connect with other TT participants. I've not seen any suggested topics anywhere for TT.

Did I answer all your questions?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

Wow, Diana -- what a great list! I especially love Theron. :D

I might have to steal this from you one of these weeks.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Parker said...

Yep, you answered everything, Diana. Maybe I'll have to try TT. It does provide some difference and variety. Thanks!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Hey, Robin

Go for it! I put the list out there to share. I've used Theron once so far as a minor character. I love that name.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Elizabeth,

Glad I could help. I think you'll like the Thursday 13 thing.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home