Monday, February 12, 2007

Write NOW!


A friend of mine recently expressed the idea that I had not been working on my creative projects as much as I could lately. She's an astute observer, and I had to agree. I am very blessed in that I have many friends who are not only honest, but they keep me honest as well. She shared with me a paragraph from a book she's reading, The Millionaire Real Estate Agent, by Gary Keller, that I found inspirational for jump-starting my creative writing planning time. See if it resonates at all with you:

"The problem for most is that they assemble everything they need to pursue success and then, instead of actually pursuing it, they leave the raft of their salvation on the shore and decide to think about it some more. They hide behind continual inaction while calling it something else altogether - inaction in the form of additional research, planning, preparation, or, more plainly, procrastination. When you are ready, anything short of action is just plain inappropriate. Simply put, top agents know that no action leads to nowhere. And nowhere is not where they plan to be. When you know what to do, there comes a point when it is just time to 'shut up, get up, and giddy up.'"

Can any other writer out there relate to this? I invite you all to shut up, get up and giddy up today on your current work in progress. And thanks be to DeDe for sharing this with me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Yes, absolutely, I can relate to this. There was a point where I was reading lots of books on writing, but not actually doing any writing. My husband pointed this out to me when I was in Barnes and Noble one day about to buy yet another writing book. "Why don't you quit reading about writing and just write?" he said.

I knew there was a reason I married him. :-)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Parker said...

Yep, I can also relate. Just today, I went to Office Max and bought five presentation folders so I could print out and store some books I bought online from Ellora's Cave. The whole time I was doing it, I was thinking, "Just go home and write your own darned book."

But hey, as long as we don't go overboard, it's fun to dabble in all the accoutrements of writing, isn't it?

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home