Monday, December 04, 2006

Holiday Faves/Traditions


Responding to Robin's tag:

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Hot chocolate, the homemade variety my mom makes.

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa leaves them under the tree unwrapped.

Colored lights on tree/house or white?

Red chili pepper lights are in the house on the ficus tree year-round. The Scooby Doo holiday lights usually make it out this time of year. Some white icicle lights also have been known to hang from some windows on the inside of the house.

Do you hang mistletoe?

Of course. I hang it and I carry it with me. You never know when you're going to find a great kiss out there.

When do you put your decorations up?

Just after Thanksgiving (with the exception of the lights on the ficus. Henrietta is adorned with some type of lighting/decoration year-round.)

What is your favorite holiday dish?

My mom's peanut butter pie. She makes it on all the major holidays and I never feel guilty when I give in to sugar to savor it.

Favorite Holiday memory as a child:

Finding my mom's Christmas present stash with my brother. As an adult, one a few years back was really special, even though I spent it in a hospital. I took my mom up to visit my dad and my cousin and his wife stopped by, too. We all had a great visit and it turned out to be my dad's last Christmas with us.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I don't remember the details (it was a very traumatic event for me), but I do recall that I was shocked that my parents would lie to me, especially after I asked about it and they continued to lie. Guess that's why I have trust issues now . . . .

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Always. The main part of the very Celesky Christmas takes place on Christmas Eve.

How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

I haven't put up a Christmas tree for some time. I decorate Henrietta the lovable ficus year-round.

Snow! Love it or Dread it?

Dread isn't really a strong enough word for how I feel about snow. My concept of hell does not include flames of fire, but huge, blowing drifts of snow.

Can you ice skate?

In a past life, but not this one. I still roller skate from time to time, though.

Do you remember your favorite gift?

From my childhood: A doll house. From adulthood: A bouncing Schipperke dog.

What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

Spending time with friends and family, taking photos and planning how we're going to push my sister-in-law's sister's buttons.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

Chocolate crème pie, with graham cracker crust and whipped crème topping (as opposed to meringue). Nothing holiday about it, but it's my all-time favorite dessert.

What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Getting Valentino's pizza take-out on Christmas Eve, eating it very quickly so we could open up presents and watching the kids bounce off the walls (and yes, often times I'm one of those kids doing the bouncing).

Also, sending out custom- made Christmas cards featuring my dogs, along with a letter from them summarizing our year. I hope to resurrect that tradition next year.

What tops your tree?

Nothing on top of the ficus right now, but a five-pointed star I remember as my favorite tree-topper.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

Watching a person open a gift you've just given.

What is your favorite Christmas Song?

Traditional – Silent Night. Contemporary – The Twelve Days of Christmas by Bob and Doug McKenzie and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry.

What is your favorite holiday movie?

Christmas in Connecticut and Christmas in the Clouds.

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?

YUM! And also right up there is that individually-wrapped peppermint nougat candy that all of the classy businesses put out in their offices.

What are some of your favorite holiday things/experiences/memories/traditions?

7 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

We always open presents on Christmas Eve at my grandmother's house and have butterball soup. That's been a tradition for as long as I can remember. One year, we stayed home instead of going to grandma's for Christmas Eve and I was COMPLETELY miserable.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

When will I learn to copy my posts to the clipboard before I preview? (sigh)

One more time:

I just got a great visual from your post -- Mr. Robin's grandma is named Henrietta, and I could just see her decked out in Christmas lights all year. :D

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Parker said...

This may seem like heresy, but often, on Christmas Day afternoon, after we've partied, eaten, unwrapped presents, and such all month, we go to a movie. There are some great movies that open on Christmas Day. Over the years, I remember enjoying "Empire of the Sun" and others. At our house, it's a tradition, and you'd be amazed how many other people are at the theaters, doing the very same thing!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Luv IT :)
(am i one of those kids bouncing off the walls?:))
I Love grandma's peanut butter pie. Its on my christmas list this year. :) along with the Valentino's pizza. Well, i better go, i have a big social studies test tommorrow. (i can never spell that word.:)) Luv ya! Hope to see you at Christmas.

Lauren

5:48 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Lauren,

Of course you're one of those kids bouncing off the walls. It wouldn't be nearly as fun if you weren't.

And you'll see me at Christmas.

Luv ya!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home