Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas Magic



Ahhh . . . holiday traditions. Santa has come and gone. Presents have been opened. Eggnog has been drunk and stuffing has been eaten.

One of my favorite new holiday traditions is going to hear Magic Slim and the Teardrops on Christmas night at the Zoo Bar in Lincoln, Nebraska. Magic Slim has been singing and playing the blues for decades and his sound cannot be beat. This year was no exception to his tremendous talent. Although much of the year Magic Slim and the Teardrops tour Europe, Japan and other countries, the Zoo Bar still manages to book him for a couple of choice sessions, including the annual gig on Christmas night. If you like the blues and want a break from all of the other holiday traditions, come to the Zoo Bar next Christmas night. You won't be disappointed.

You can read more about Magic Slim at Blind Pig Records: http://www.blindpigrecords.com/index.cfm?section=artists&artistid=15

6 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Wow, they sound great! Glad you had a good time.

Happy New Year!!!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Parker said...

Wow, Diana, my daughter's boyfriend bartends at the Zoo Bar. I bet you've met him (or at least seen him and her) there. Small world, huh?

1:56 PM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

Diana, you make me feel very boring. :D I can't remember the last time I went out for an evening of music.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Robin,

We'll have to get you out for an evening of live music one night soon . . . when we're not in the middle of a blizzard.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen the band No Better Cause? They are unbelievable. They are a boy band and they are all occapella (probably spelled that wrong). I have 3 of their CDs. They have one bass singer who is unbelievably LOW. and they also have a very talented percussionist. He uses his voice for the drum and cymbol sounds! Its crazy. If you here they are coming any time soon. We should go see them. They were in Waverly one time at the church by the pool. Dad took us, it was so cool.

Luv ya.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Diana Celesky said...

Lauren,

I'd LOVE to see No Better Cause with you. Just let me know when they'll be playing in the area, and we'll go. I hope Magic Slim will be in the states some time over the summer and not in a bar so I can take you to hear him. I think you would like the blues. A lot of it is very rhythmic and fast-paced. I'll have to get one of his CDs so you can check him out.

Luv ya!

P. S. Grandma liked the show, too. A young guy there thought she was my sister. She was pretty excited about that.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home